Monday, October 24, 2011

The belief in Fate

Do you believe in fate ?

Do you believe in God ?

Do you believe in karma and its cycle that shapes fate ?

Or do you believe that one makes his own destiny ?

All the 4 thought processes fascinate me . I keep thinking about them as I view my own life and also the lives of various others who I come in contact with .

If the fourth question that I posed is to be believed , why is it that not all can get what they want inspite of being immensely talented ? Somewhere the luck factor evades them . Perfectly ordinary people seem to get the best out of life while the talented ones do NOT necessarily make it big .

It seems Annapurna Devi , The wife [ divorced} of Pandit Ravi Shankar played the sitar even better than him . She was the daughter of Ravi Shankar's Guru . Yet , after marraige , due to husband's insistence [ some say } she did NOT play in the public eye as much as she should have . Later the discord in her marraige [ she was of a very sensitive artistic temperament } made her a recluse and she withdrew to the extent that even her near and dear ones hardly got to see her .

The world lost a sitarist of an exceptional genius like calibre they say . All the eminent musicians who have heard her play have agreed in unison on this .....She played BETTER than her husband .

I read up a lot on Annapurna Devi . The last journalist who traced the recluse and talked to her and heard her play ...........he had requested her to give him lessons as a shishya........came back stymied .

I wanted to write and become an author . It was my childhood dream .

But Each time I tried , I was accepted in the creative writing programs but turned down by the graduate schools due to some faltoo technicality .

Once it was my recommendation letters ......they were not good enough .

Twice it was health issue .

Once it was the damned GRE exam . It had a maths section which was the rquirement of some graduate schools . I have lost touch with it .I never WAS a Math person . But hey I could WRITE . One does not need to know Math to write .

The amazing thing was , my writing sample was appreciated by the directors of the program who spoke personally to me and assured me I was selected .They liked it so much that they phoned me .

I could not make it as a writer .

Far inferior writers have however made it .

Is it my Fate ? I remember an astrologer who told me years ago .........You will never make it as a writer . You have talent, perhaps more so than the others but there is no glory , recognition and appreciation in your fate .

I still try . Some part of me is refusing to give up .

I believe it wants to manifest itself as thats who I am .

Will my Fate hamper me ?

Wll praying to God help me ?God knows I have prayed hard enough .

Its easy to say I make My own destiny ........better said then done , right ?

Your thoughts would help my friends . Waiting for them .




4 comments:

  1. hmmmm... I am glad you let it out of your system Kools.. to tell you the truth... I have been on this boat on and off.. especially with my PI/boss's "so-called encouragement" session every week.. Today he finally asked me if I wanted to be in science.. coz he really didn't know how I would be at the top.. LOL.. coz I refuse to budge to his demands of working nights and weekends.. coz I freaking dare to have a life and persona outside science.. and scientists apparently JUST CAN'T HAVE THAT...

    anyways.. its not about me.. and neither is it about you.. its about life..

    I lack my mother's faith, and profundity to be a believer.. to believe in any of the 4 philosophies you sighted.. the closest I come is to believing in karma.. but I can't seem to take that leap of faith to think it could influence fate or timing in life.. but I do believe in choosing to do things in life.. although my mom laughs at it saying.. life chooses it for you..LOL

    its interesting that just today my physio told me.. while my session with him was on..

    Life is one big "choose your adventure" series..

    If you want to write.. you WILL write.. and no one can stop you from it.. one grad school, 2 .3 , 4 may not accept you.. but don't stop till you run out of money or schools to apply.. LOL.. or the drive.. maybe you don't have to be in grad school... may be you can get there eventually.. you could try to get an internship in a related field which would give you ample scope for practical honing.. that would help your credentials for grad school or maybe you wont even need to get into one.. Not everyone who finds their calling does it thro a degree..

    Astrology can come close to predicting.. but a lot of times my family astro who loves the science of astrology tells mom.. nothing is constant.. today someone's star shows something.. tomorrow that might change.. a lot of scary things were foretold regarding me when I was 17 and raring to go far from home for education and living on my own.. some did happen.. but I bounced back.. my mom doesn't know a thing from me.. the astro told her.. your daughter is a fighter.. she doesn't know how to sit down.. she springs back..

    Mom kept saying.. if you aren't getting this job, or this placement.. thts coz there's something else waiting.. and she was true.. i started working in medicine.. something I never imagined i would.. till I realized I can't meet its demands in terms of personal compromise.. that's a choice I made.. today my boss may tell me I dont have it in me to become a scientist.. may be I dont.. but I love science in whatever capacity.. and I shall work on it.. maybe I wont be as successful as he thought I could be.. but I will be happy..

    letting out a secret.. from the time I was born astro's kept telling mom.. I had a creative streak.. so she put me into music.. I pursued it.. till it became a burden.. I liked singing but didn't wanna compete.. so I rebelled and left it.. mom said that day- one day I'll regret it.. later the astro said.. she will be popular writing.. LOL.. mom just didn't know how.. then she figured.. oh I'll be popular writing science papers.. LOL.. she still lives under that illusion.. and I let her.. coz I like writing as a hobby.. whether its fiction or blogs.. the day it becomes more.. I wont be any good coz it'll be my burden.. and my spirit can never handle that.. at this point am fighting the urge of my boss to make science a burden for me.. and I'll keep fighting..

    so the moral from me... fight till you know its not worth.. your spirit.. but if it is.. dont let anything or anyone stop you.. destiny favors the brave coz it has no other option.. LOL..

    P.S. while at it I can fwd u my uni links to see if u like any program:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and forgot to add .. LOL.. I dont pray.. coz I strongly believe.. god is already burdened by loads of prayers.. he has done his deal with me.. given me the family and the spirit.. to chose and bear the repercussions of my actions:) he may be my examiner and give my progress report.. but it's me who has to score.. I may not score the most.. in one aspect.. but I'll score somewhere else better.. aka joy and peace of mind... so don't you compromise on that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for ur profound wisdom . It doesn't matter to me if it comes from a younger person ...........but what matters to me is it came to my ears .

    I always ask for faith as it helps me to move on .
    I think I will write , as u said . Its just not giving up, that urge , inspite of the various setbacks in my life . I think its meant to be .

    If i do not get in a writing program , which was my way of attempting to be out there , another door will open for me , I just gotta find it .

    Its very very hard . Till today no luck , only the realisation that I do have it in me .

    I read The Gospel of Sri Ramkrishna and feel the faith . I may not know it but its there , the power . Some call it God , but its out there and also within and if u tap it , u can achieve anything . So u see , I share your mother's simple faith . I understand where she comes from and I understand you too . My sister is like you .
    Off to writing . Will post more during the day .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah such a profound post Kools.

    For me it's like this...if you want something badly enough then keep working towards it...there maybe many a stumbling blocks, and some days it may seem like it's all a futility, but again you wake up to a new dawn and then you keep aside your disappointments and thrive towrads your goals again. Finally you gotta succeed.

    Belief in God is totally inherent in me, though I'm very private abt it nd rarely voice my opinion on tht matter. Yes what is destined to happen happens, but tht does not mean tht I simply accept my lot. I am bound by the family I'm married into, as well as my own family, but I need my space or else I'll be a goner. Tht is Y I could relate to Charu d most, coz she within the confines of her marraige, chose to pursue something tht she was passionate abt....d same for me. I also believe,as Sonali said, that fate can change and it is not static and therefore one cannot predict what's in store for one's future. I also believe tht our karma can change our fate.

    ReplyDelete